Sunday, November 4, 2012

October Update... Winter is here!!

Sorry I am so bad with blogging lately. Fortunately not a lot has gone on since my last blog as I am working every day and there isnt much to tell.. unless you'd like to know all about my hour long commute and what I eat for dinner every night.

My biggest accomplishment as of lately is that I am now a legal dutchie. Ok so I don't have citizenship but I finally got a stamp in my passport at the IND (immigration office) to stay in NL for work. It is quite the stamp. Very official and all that. Now the best part about getting this stamp was the simplicity of the process (once you have finished the giant pack of paperwork that is). You know how people that work at places like the DMV are super cranky and hate their lives and thus are always pissed off at you? Well here it wasn't like that all. I even told Koen as we were walking into the building that I was nervous they'd be rude if I forgot some document. But no, I had a very pleasant experience. The man assisting me was very pleased that I had like 98343097 copies of each document and only forgot a few things like writing my name on the very first page...Durrrr. The other thing I noticed was the casual attire of the employee sitting next to my guy. He was obviously gay and wearing a tight v-neck with a studded jean jacket vest. Soo euro. And i loved it. I guess you could say that The Netherlands overall just seems to be more relaxed than in the States. Even at work I get to wear really whatever I want. Once I got everything stamped and processed, Koen and I went to a nearby McDonald's to celebrate with Happy Meals (I told you there's not much to talk about lately). Woohoooo burgers.

But lets see what else. Oh yes, I have had my first encounter with what appear to me to be somewhat controversial Christmas decorations. Or maybe the better name is Sinterklaas decorations. Google this if you want to know more about it but this is the more traditional Dutch holiday around Christmas. The controversiality with this lies in the helper of Sinterklaas, Zwarte Piet or Black Peter. He is a white boy covered in black (presumably soot) and distributes presents through the chimney with Sinterklaas. However it used to be that he was a black slave who was freed by Sinterklaas and ultimately stayed by his side by choice because he was so grateful for what Sinterklaas did for him. (Pictures of the little kid costumes in the grocery store coming soon). Anyway, we are going to celebrate with Han's (Koen's stepdad) family's party sometime around the 5th of December!

In other news, it is currently raining and freezing outside. My mom and dad got lucky that the weather was still tolerable for touring when they were here. Especially with Amsterdam because although that would give my parents a more realistic perspective of what Holland is like on a daily basis, it's not so enjoyable no. I think they had a good time though especially at Fockink. This is a "gezellig" Dutch bar that makes their own liqueur in Amsterdam. It was really funny because the gay bartender working there was really an entertainer. As usual Koen was his victim. (I'm not sure why but he is just about every gay man's type over here and it's beginning to worry me. Haha) He said things like "Oh yeah, those long distance relationships. You just skype once or twice and then it's over. But its good for me and I'm sure your dad is okay with it too, am I right?" I think Koen's face got a little red! ;) But anyways, what they have you do when you get your drink is bend over the bar and slurp it from the glass because they intentionally fill it to the brim. Great photo op there.

All in all, I think the best part about their trip was just being on the same continent again although my mom would probably say it was getting to meet her grandson, Pep! But hopefully they'll be back soon and we can all go on some European adventures preferably to more tropical locations. Nick, Katie and Drewby too!! (Hint hint)






No comments:

Post a Comment