Friday, January 18, 2013

Dutch winter in true Dutch fashion...

Well it’s that time of year again for the Dutchies. Snow has fallen and canals are freezing over meaning Elfstedenkoorts is in the air!!
Now I know what you’re thinking, what is Elfstedenkoorts and what is so great about frozen water and chilling temperatures especially when you don’t have any mountain ranges to go skiing/snowboarding on? Well let me enlighten you, dear friends.

Every year around this time, the Dutch get a sparkle in their eye when temperatures drop below 0 degrees Celsius (freezing). This is due to a chilly and excitement-worthy event known as Elfstedentocht. I have literally just been informed of this event yesterday and when I was first told that people go to the north of Holland in Friesland and skate in a 200 km (124 mi) ice-skating race through 11 cities, I wasn’t enthused. I mean what is so appealing about standing in the cold while people ice skate. Yeah, nothing.. but if there is a party involved…that changes the situation! Many people flock to the area and watch while the skaters compete and since it has been 15 years since the last event, I’m certain that the drinks will be flowing and I will be there to see it.

Side note: My favorite aspect of this whole event is the verbiage that goes along with it: Elfstedentocht and Elfstedenkoorts. Elfstedentocht literally means "Trip to 11 cities" and Elfstedenkoorts is a way of describing the hype that goes along with the event. “Koorts” means fever so if you compare it to Justin Bieber fans who have Bieber Fever, it is something similar and I have it and you will too.

Another surprising detail I’ve noticed is that the majority (and I wouldn’t say all) of Dutchies aren’t happy with snowy weather. And being that I am ecstatic any time it snows, this is weird to imagine…UNTIL we had our first big snow in Rotterdam. Lots of things go down over here that usually aren’t a problem for most Americans (depending on where you live). City-slickers may think differently but I can speak for most North Carolinians when I say that snow isn’t really bad news. Now in Holland, many people rely on public transportation to get to and from their destinations (bicycles included). It is usually a quite efficient and complex system that beats Amtrak by a mile any day but when there is so much as a snowflake, all hell breaks loose. Trains are delayed for hours at a time, some come and then you immediately have to get off and some simply do not come at all.

The waiting period during this time is what some would describe as extremely miserable. To be more explicit, what this entails is buying a hot coffee (necessary), having very thick socks, hats, gloves, etc and having the attitude that your train will never come so that when it does, you are delightfully surprised. A feeling I've experienced a lot lately with my trains to work.
Then you also have your bike to worry about (which I’ve successfully attempted to ride for the first time this morning). Riding in slush/ice is very dangerous considering how close a lot of cyclists ride next to the road but to the Dutch I guess it’s just a day in the life. Koen doesn’t seem to pay it much attention at least!

In other news, I have yet to set a date for when I make my trip to the States. Ideally I would like to come in the next few months but fiscally that may not be viable...(my excuse for all things worth over 5 euros these days) For now, “I’m living off the land” as my Dad would call it so the saving will begin soon. Either way, I know Katie is planning to visit in June so I have that to look forward to! It’s only a matter of time before more of you guys cave and purchase a ticket to explore all the wonders that Europe has to offer as well as visit Koen, me and my cat. Miss you all!

If you want to know more information about Eflstedentocht:

Here is an article about it as well:
http://www.volkskrant.nl/vk/nl/9104/Het-weer/article/detail/3378556/2013/01/17/Weerbureaus-denken-al-aan-Elfstedentocht.dhtml


No comments:

Post a Comment